Friday 18 May 2012

Feeding....times two!

Feeding the twins has been one of the biggest challenges since they were born.  This may sound really odd, but as a new mom, you enjoy the bonding time while feeding your child.  Whether nursing or bottle feeding, it's nice to be able to forget about all the chores that need to get done and just cuddle your little one.  These cuddles only last so long.  These cuddles also help with the bonding process and to give you a moment when you realize that this is what it's all about, despite the lack of sleep and stress that comes along with a new baby.

During my pregnancy with the twins, I had thought many times about how I was going to feed both babies.  I nursed for a day or so in the hospital, and then I eventually quit.  I'm not usually that quick to give things up, but with two babies and a 21 month old running around, I wasn't prepared to be stressed about feeding as well (and nursing didn't go so well with Jayna).  Judge me if you want, oh well.

So this is how feeding has progressed in our house.  We started with two nursing pillows. The babies would usually be propped by the nursing pillow, then the bottle would be propped by a blanket.  There are many experts that suggest against this, but clearly they didn't have multiples.  At the beginning, I would try to cuddle one while the other was propped, but when their bottle slipped, it was hard for me to fix it as my hands were already full.  The babies got bigger and we stopped with the pillow and would put them in the chair and the swing and prop them the same way.  It was nice that during these times, I could usually get something little done, but at the same time I was missing that bonding moment.  I could have held them both and just fed them one after the other, but that was too time consuming and I'm too impatient.  I usually took advantage of Derrick being home to cuddle one or a visitor would also allow me the opportunity.  They don't seem to be lacking, they still like me and they are happy babies.

Here's where we are at now. We introduced cereal about 6 weeks ago.  Mara didn't take to it at all and for a few weeks we didn't even try to give her any.  She got a little better and then we introduced real food.  Last week, it was like there was a switch flicked inside her and now she's a good eater.  Davin took to the cereal and food right away.

I remember how frustrating feeding time could be with one, but with two...oh my.  Davin is usually hunched forward in his seat because he can't get the food fast enough, and if you don't feed him fast enough, he will let you know.  I feed them both from the same bowl and spoon.  This is what has been recommended by other moms of multiples and it has made it easy.  Mara has her hands in her mouth in between spoonfuls, which leads to quite the cleanup afterwards.  Yesterday she had carrots and peppers in her hair and her ear.  Jayna is usually wanting to help feed the babies and this also contributes to the mess and the frustration, although she doesn't do too badly.  They babies will now eat a meal of three ice cubed size portions and a bunch of cereal mixed in with it.  After their food, they have a 4 oz bottle.  I'm amazed at how much they eat and it really worries me for their teenage years.  Jayna also pounds back a ridiculous amount of food usually.

I have been making the fruits and veggies so far.  I remember making food for Jayna and it would last a lot longer.  With two kids with huge appetites, I'm going to be getting my use out of my Magic Bullet.

I really do enjoy this time with the babies.  Now they are both rolling over a lot more and interacting a lot.  They follow Jayna around (with their eyes) and smile at her all the time.  They absolutely adore her.  The food experimenting is a fun time to me as well.  I love the faces they make and I love watching them explore and try to figure things out.  The babies have eaten apples, bananas, pears, carrots, peppers, zuccini, avocado, and either broccoli or asparagus is on the menu tonight.  I look forward to the kiwi trial (Jayna's was video taped and quite funny!).

On another note, we got rid of the swing today.  It's nice to see some more space in the living room.  On tap for the weekend is getting new car seats for the babies and getting rid of the bucket seats (which are stored in the front entrance....yeah more space, less clutter) and also taking the bumbos to my parents' house since the babies can eat out of the space saver high chairs at our place.  It's really sad that the twins are growing out of things, but at the same time, it's nice to get stuff out of the house.  I look forward to visiting my friends and their little babies to get my fix and not having to go through it again myself!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment