Sunday 29 April 2012

Guilt free vacation!

Derrick and I were fortunate enough to be gone from Monday to Friday on a trip to Vegas.  We had a great time.  I didn't come back rested, but I definitely came back rejuvenated.  My mom looked tired when we arrived home and she said that it was a challenging time, although the next day, she was able to share some funny moments with me and laugh about it.

Before we went away, people kept telling me that I didn't realize how much I was going to miss my children.  I don't think they realize how time consuming three kids two and under are.  We went away last year when Jayna was just under a year and yes we missed her, but it was also nice to be away and reconnect as a couple.  This is going to sound really bad, but this time, I was even less affected by missing my children.  I did miss them and I thought about them regularly, but I think I was just so tired of all of the work involved in the daily grind since the twins were born, that it was nice to not have to do anything but enjoy myself.  Speaking of the work involved, I really have to tidy my house today and probably do about 6 or 7 loads of laundry.  It feels as though we never left!

Leading up to the trip I kept telling my mom that it would be tough, but she would also get a lot of good times out of the kids that she otherwise wouldn't have had.  My mom was the lucky one who got to see Mara roll over for the first time, about an hour after we left the house.  Mom also got a kick out of some of the things Jayna did and she realized how much of a little mother Jayna tries to be.  Moments like those helped her get through the lack of sleep.

Not long after my parents walked out the door, Jayna threw a huge tantrum and I looked at Derrick and said, "this is why we went away and I have zero guilt!"  And then there are moments like last night when Derrick let Jayna go to sleep with a flash light and we went to look in on her and there was a glow in the room.  We got a kick out of it.  Of course, Derrick says, "I told her to turn it off."  Right, like a two year old is going to listen when no one is watching.  My cuddles with Jayna while the babies slept this morning were also great and make it well worth all of the craziness of being a parent.

While we were away last year, there was an older couple that we talked to at one point and they said that it is important to get away as a couple once a year.  I agreed with that statement then and now with three children, I could not agree more.  It may not be a trip to Vegas, but Derrick and I will always try and get away for a weekend throughout the year to just enjoy us.

No comments:

Post a Comment