Tuesday 17 April 2012

Blog response

When I started this blog, I thought it was more for myself to document our life right now, kind of like a journal.  I also thought if other mothers of multiples found it and it helped them in some way, then great.  I really didn't think many people would actually read it.

Since I have been blogging, I have had many friends and colleagues comment on how they love reading my blog.  All of the comments have been unprovoked, as they have brought up the topic without me acknowledging the blog (I just assume no one reads it).

I've had friends, who are also mothers, say that I have shared what every mother has felt, but doesn't have the nerve to say.  This makes me feel really good because I think there is a huge misconception about motherhood in society and that mothers put way too much pressure on themselves to try and be perfect.  Any mother realizes that there are times when we need and actually really want to get away from our children, whether it be for a night, a weekend, or a week.  Some people who don't have children assume that we love being mothers more than anything else all the time and that we love the fact that we have given up so much of ourselves.  People forget that we lived a life as having our own identity and desires and needs for many years before we became "___________'s mom".  It's hard to give that up sometimes and you do feel like a terrible mother for feeling this way, but it is important for you to have your own identity as well and to take time for yourself.

I had one colleague comment that reading my blog makes her thankful that she gets to leave her "kids" at 3:30.  Yes, the beginning has been a bit rough, but I will for sure be posting some fun stuff at some point. There are many enjoyable moments as a parent as well.  For example, Mara and Davin are cooing, smiling, and laughing a lot more.  It is very precious and makes me stop whatever I am doing to just enjoy that stage and the moment.  They are also very close to rolling over.  It always brings a smile to my face and allows me to realize that I really do enjoy being a mother despite the craziness.  I'm actually laughing right now because Jayna just took her giant stuffed Cookie Monster and yelled "Time out now" very angrily and marched him down the hallway and plunked him in her usual time out spot.  Jayna is obviously the only one that knows what Cookie Monster did to deserve this time out.  There have been many moments like that lately that make Derrick and myself realize how much influence we have on our kids.

I had a friend send me a message on the weekend, in response to the blog.  Something that she said really stuck with me and it was that she hadn't talked to me in a while because she didn't know what to say.  After reading my blog, she began to understand a bit what life was like in the Sheldon household and she offered some encouraging words as well as offered to help out.

I have also discovered that there are people reading my blog that I thought would never read it.  Some have sent me messages via Facebook and others I have found out about in round about ways.  I find that interesting and I hope people feel they are gaining something from it.

Although I'm not on a mission to change the world, I hope that I can help at least a few mothers realize that no one is perfect and we all have rough patches (these could be moments, days, weeks), but in the end, we all love being mothers.

I'm also surprised at how many people have viewed my page.  I'm at almost 1000 hits and I'm shocked by that.  I haven't even forwarded the link to my family, I just post it on Facebook.  Thanks to everyone who reads it.  I'm enjoying blogging a lot more than I thought I would and I look forward to hearing peoples' reactions to my blog.  I'm also amazed at where the page views have come from in the world.  Some I can figure out because people I know live there, but I have no idea who is reading my blog in Russia, Germany, and Latvia, but thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment