Friday 13 April 2012

Rough night = rough day

Today is one of those days when everything annoys me and my kids cannot go to bed soon enough.  Oh yeah, and I just had to break up the twins first fight!!!  I really don't feel like dealing with kids today, and I'm definitely not in the mood to deal with anyone not cooperating.  This is a day where the children get to practice their independence.  Thank goodness for play mats, exersaucers, bumbos and swings.  I'm also thankful that Jayna can amuse herself and doesn't need me to always play with her.  I'm hoping the twins go for a nap soon and then I'll put Jayna for "quiet time with books on her bed", which means she'll probably sleep as well.  I'm not actually thinking that this will pan out for me, but I'm dreaming that it will.  

When people used to ask if I was getting any sleep after the twins were born I would say that we were lucky.  The twins used to pretty much only wake up to eat in the night and that was it.....until last week.  For the past week or so, the nights have been a lot rougher and I don't know how much longer I can handle it.  I have a cold that I just can't seem to get rid of, but when you're away a ridiculous number of times in the night and then being awake for a chunk of an hour or more on top of that, it's no wonder I can't get rid of this cold.  We have done the Tylenol/Advil thing because the kids are teething and sometimes it helps, but last night it didn't really.  We also let them cry it out at times as well.  The kids usually don't eat until early early morning (between 3 and 5), but last night Davin wanted to eat at 1.  He hasn't eaten at this time for a long time, so it took me an hour of trying everything else first to finally realize he wanted to eat.

One of the reasons that the kids waking up so much bothers me is because in a week, my mom will be here for a week to stay with the kids while we go to Vegas.  Some people have made comments about how hard it will be for me to be away from the three little ones (obviously they haven't spent too much time in my house or around me), but the thing that will be nagging me in the back of my mind is wondering if the kids are behaving or making life difficult for my mom.  I feel bad when someone else has to deal with my children when they are being difficult.  Yes, I will miss the three, but I will definitely enjoy not having to deal with kids for 4 days and not having to do laundry, dishes or cook!  I will also enjoy spending time with Derrick and not having any kids around.

We have started the twins on cereal.  Davin has really taken to it, but Mara is struggling a bit.  She's improving though and today at lunch was the best feeding of cereal for her yet.  I'm hoping this helps them to sleep a bit better at night as well.

Parents, do you remember what it's like to eat a meal without being interrupted by kids or have your kid want to eat some of whatever you are eating at the moment?  What about taking for granted that you could pee in silence or eat a hot meal whenever you wanted?  Thank goodness for the great things about being a parent, like your child smiling at you or giving you a big hug and telling you that they love you.  If it wasn't for things like that, I don't know how any parent would survive this job.

I realize this was a very random post, but oh well.


No comments:

Post a Comment