Sunday 5 February 2012

Things people say

Over the last couple of months, I have taken the babies (and Jayna when I have her) out shopping and to other public places and here are some of the comments I get.  I'm kind of used to people staring at me, I know it's not every day you see a girl who's six foot two, but now I'm six two with twins!  I'll be standing in an aisle looking for something on the shelf and some people will stop beside me and just stare.  I pretend that I don't notice.  I know that people love babies in general, but they're even more intrigued by multiples.



I'm so excited for you (when I was still pregnant)
     I know that this was just the way people were trying to say that they were happy for our family, but in my head I was freaking out and overwhelmed at the thought of having three children under the age of two.  All I could think was, "are you going to come and live my life for a week.  If so, then you can be excited for me." On that note, we have been ridiculously lucky and overwhelmed with help from family and friends, thank goodness.  I ran into my cousin at the grocery store after we found out we were having twins and he just looked at me, shook his head and said, "Better you than me".  I laughed because that was the first person who seemed to realize that twins would be a huge challenge and not just a super fun novelty to parade around with, although it is double the love!!!!!

Are they twins?
     No, I have my own newborn and didn't find one challenging enough, so I decided to take my friend's newborn out shopping too.  Oh yeah, and I picked up this two year old on the street corner just to add some extra excitement to the outing.  That is what I would really like to say and if someone catches me on the right (or wrong) day, I may just do so, but for now I just say yes.  

Are they identical?
     Are a penis and vagina identical?  If so, then yes, but for now,  I'm going to go with no.

An instant family
     I have heard other mothers of multiples complain about this comment when they are out with their boy/girl twins.  An old man who stopped and stared at us three different times in the store said this to me today.  I instantly felt bad for Jayna, who was not with me at the time.  I was certain to point out to the man that we already had a two year old at home.  I have noticed through the Manitoba Families of Multiples board that there are many families who have had multiples first and then still have more children after.  I don't know why people assume that if you have twins, then that's it.  I would be like assuming that no one will have a third child after they've had two singletons.  

Oh, I always wanted twins
     Many women have said this to me and I just think "Why?"  Once again, I wouldn't change anything for the world, but I would never have asked for this.  Anyone who has had one baby knows how tough it is, now place double the demands on you when you're already sleep deprived and see how fun that is.  I think when people say this, they haven't really been around newborn twins and they just think the novelty of having twins would be great.  People also don't realize the possible complications during pregnancy and the very realistic possibility of having premies.  We were fortunate that Davin and Mara had to be forced out because they were too comfortable, but we have friends of the family who just had their little girls three months early.  We spent our entire pregnancy well aware of the fact that the babies could have arrived at any point and been in the NICU for a chunk of time.


You look great
     I appreciate this comment, but this means one of two things.....I wish I felt as good as I looked or people are lying to me.  I really hope it's the first one.  I'm sure this will come with time.  I have never been so physically exhausted in my whole life.  I do make it a priority to shower every day, even if we aren't going out.  It makes me feel better and it's a few minutes away from the chaos to recharge.  Sometimes this means that they cry for a few minutes, but that's not the end of world.  It also helps me to not resent my children for not allowing me to at least be clean.  This is especially funny now since I had a lady in a store comment on how I must be busy.  I answered with, "I sure am".  She then proceeded to comment in an astonished voice, "Wow, you look like you've actually showered!"  She was even more surprised when I told her I had actually showered.  

I'm sure over time, there will be many more interesting comments.  I've heard other mothers of multiples share some pretty mind boggling comments they have received.  Ok, now off to watch the Super Bowl!



No comments:

Post a Comment