Thursday 27 September 2012

Vacation!!!

I remember being in Vegas for the first time and talking to an older couple.  We had told them that our almost 11 month old daughter was at home with my parents.  They told us that it was important to take a trip every year without the children.  At that point I figured it sounded like a good idea and it would be doable, even if it was just a weekend in Grand Forks.  I do believe that many people don't put enough time and energy into their relationship after children are born.  Once we found out we were having twins, I thought we would never be able to go anywhere again.  First of all, I thought no one would ever want to watch all of our kids and secondly I never thought we'd have any money to go.  Well, we went to Vegas again in April and I came back feeling refreshed and rejuvenated as a parent.  Not long after we got back, we had friends offer to use their Air Miles to fly us all to Toronto this coming weekend and go to a Bill's game in Buffalo.  I know that technically, we should have said no, but how do you turn down an almost free flight?  Neither Derrick or I have ever been to an NFL game, so we are quite excited.

When the offer came up, Derrick thought we should arrange for someone to watch our kids.  I'm not usually one to take this for granted, but I knew that because it was a weekend and such a short time, we could arrange people easily enough within our family.  I posted something on Facebook about having a trip booked and now just needing someone to watch our kids and my friend answered that they would watch them.  She has almost 8 year old triplets and two of them just love kids and will be super helpful.  I talked with her and she said she was serious.  I figured, why not?  If someone's offering, that's great.  Jayna is super excited for Melanie to come stay with her.  Thanks again Melanie.  You have no idea how thankful we are!!!!  For the last few days, when we go out, Jayna asks if we are going on a plane.


Here's to a weekend away from the kids with great friends!  I can't wait to experience my first NFL game (and see Tom Brady in person!).

Derrick and I are by no means perfect, but we are well aware of our ups and downs and we work hard to make sure our marriage stays strong.  We have just had a bit of a rough go the last couple of weeks with his back not being great.  Although it wasn't easy, I knew it would pass and we'd move on.  Thank goodness that is happening!  We may not always get out without the kids, but we make time for each other at home.  Sometimes this is just watching a show together or being an old married couple and playing cards, while sharing a bottle of wine of course!

In other news, Davin had his first hair cut on Tuesday.  It was just a little trim to get the hair out of his eyes, but it was successful.  He was quiet, and barely moved.  Here's a before and after shot.  I've also included some pictures of the twins' first experience with lasagna.  Thank goodness for bath night!




The before shot

The after shot

No comments:

Post a Comment