Saturday 24 November 2012

Ever changing

Lately, I can't help but be thinking about where we were a year ago.  For example, this morning we were all in the living room/dining room and I was watching the kids play and thinking about how a year ago, we were still a family of three.  At that moment I was remembering when it was a lot quieter and less hectic.  At the same time, I wouldn't change the never ending craziness for anything.

A year ago, I was sooo uncomfortable and wanted these babies out, but at the same time I was super scared of what that would mean.  I was worried about being able to care for the twins, and I was really worried about how Jayna would react to the new additions.  Fortunately, Jayna could not have been a better big sister.  She was usually pretty gentle and she loved the babies from the start.  Almost a year later and she is still super helpful and just adores her brother and sister.  She is always proud to tell people they are her Mara and Davin when we are out.

I've heard many multiple parents say that the first couple years are a blur and I can completely understand.  I just said to Derrick last night that I know that there were many rough days and it seemed like the end of the world at the time, but looking back now, it could have been so much worse.  Both of our children were healthy, born after 38 weeks, and all around pretty good kids.  Life could have been a lot rougher, as it is for some other families.

In 11 days we will be waking up the babies and saying happy birthday.  I can't believe how much life has changed in that year.  As much as I know their birthday is about them, I don't really see it that way. For some reason, I see a bigger picture and I feel as though it's a celebration for Derrick and I, since we have survived the first year.  There is no doubt in my mind that if we did have a good relationship, we would no longer be together at this point.  I would venture to say that our relationship is actually better than it was before.

Part of me is always a little sad when we see the last of the firsts in our house, yet at the same time, I'm so happy we never have to go through the newborn stage again.  Last night, Davin was a walking machine.  It has yet to be replicated today, but I'm sure he will and I will hopefully get some video.

Well, off to play with the kids and hope the aren't too intrigued by the Christmas tree we put up downstairs last night.

And as promised, here are some pictures from their cake smash done by Robin Marchadour (www.robinmarchadourphotography.com).  We are once again so happy with the product.  What a talent you are Robin.  Thank you so much for giving us amazing pictures of our babes as newborns and now a year later!!!  You always surpass our expectations and we get so many compliments.  







No comments:

Post a Comment