Sunday 13 January 2013

It's been a while

I knew I hadn't written anything for a while, but I didn't realize it had been over a month.  I haven't written anything for two reasons....one, I haven't had a whole lot of time and two, I didn't really think I had anything too interesting to say.

I've been back at work since November 5th and people keep asking me how it is.  My answer is always...Crazy!  My job is definitely not one where I sit at a desk all day.  As a Phys Ed teacher, you're constantly on the go, kinda like my home life.  I'm also right in the thick of basketball season (which is actually going really well....3-0 so far and ranked 5th in the province!), so that means that two mornings a week, I'm gone just after 6 am to be at school for a 7 am practice and Derrick is on his own with the kids in the morning.  Two other days a week, I'm not home till later in the evening because of a practice or a game, which means Derrick is also on his own.  I'm so thankful to have a super supportive husband, because I couldn't do it without his support.

I remember a conversation I had with a colleague in my first year at my current school.  Derrick and I had just gotten married that summer and were in the midst of deciding whether or not to have children.  My colleague was also a basketball coach and I mentioned that one of the reasons I was considering not having children is because I wanted to coach and children would get in the way.  He proceeded to tell me that it didn't make that big of a difference and that you just work around things.  I looked at him and reminded him that he is the father and I'm the mother.  I had a pregnancy to go through as well as maternity leave and also the expectation that the mother is around most of the time.  His response, "oh, I never thought of that."

Obviously, we decided to have children and I'm glad to say that I'm still able to coach.  I have only missed one full season, last year because the twins were born right at the beginning.

Three weeks ago, Davin had a hypospadias repair surgery.  Here's a link to explain what that is...beware, there is a picture of a penis.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypospadias  I'm happy to report that he is doing well and was awesome after surgery.

Also, Christmas came and went.  What a whirlwind three days that was.  It was super fun because Jayna finally "got it".  I can't even imagine what next year is going to be like when the twins kind of understand what's going on and Jayna's even more excited.  This Christmas made me realize how much parents lie to their children.  I felt awful on many occasions, such as when I had to explain Ace (Elf on the Shelf) going away.  We had told Jayna that she would get to say goodbye to him and on Christmas Eve we got sidetracked and forgot.  Christmas morning, in the van, Jayna started talking about wanting to say goodbye to Ace.  We told her that if she said goodbye right now, he would hear her from the North Pole.  Derrick and I looked at each other with that look of feeling guilty for having to lie.  Oh well, I guess that's just part of the magic of Christmas.

Davin is a walking machine and is almost running.  He rarely crawls anymore.  Mara is walking a lot more as well and she is a master at climbing up on the couch.  Now we're just worried about her climbing other things.

I hope everyone had a great holiday and is settling into the new year.  I will hopefully be posting more often and making the time to include more pictures and videos.  I do have a few ideas for some posts.  Oh, and I can't believe that I'm going to have to change my description of my blog soon to state that I have a 3 year old :(

No comments:

Post a Comment